2016 Call for Artists
Figureworks.org is a not-for-profit organization promoting art of the human form. Figureworks.org is calling artists in all media to participate in its seventh annual juried award show from November 22nd until December 4th, 2016 at Saint Brigid's Centre for the Arts, 310 St. Patrick Street, Ottawa, ON, Canada.
- Works should represent the human form or parts thereof. All media and styles are accepted. The jury will be looking for the best combination of skill, concept and originality.
- There are no size restrictions for your artwork but the gallery dimensions are 50' x 50' (15 m x 15 m) with a standard-sized door. Try to keep the work under 2400 square inches (1.5 m2) to allow enough hanging space for everyone.
- Works should be finished, stable and dry to the touch. Wet, sticky and unstable works will not be accepted.
- Works should be presented ready to hang. Works on paper must be framed.
- Artists are limited to two submissions. The entry fee is $50 (CAD) for the first work and $20 for the second, payable on first submission. Students with a valid student ID are eligible for a 50 per cent discount. The submission fee is non-refundable, regardless of the jury's decision. Funds are used to pay the jury, gallery rental and advertising with the remainder divided among the prize winners.
- Works should be made independently, without guidance.
- Works should be no older than three years and not have been entered in a previous Figureworks show.
- The jury will make its initial selection from the electronic submissions, choosing the final show participants and winners during an on-site viewing.
- Works may but do not have to be for sale. Neither Figureworks nor Saint Brigid's Centre for the Arts charge a commission. Figureworks will reserve works for interested buyers but all sales are to be conducted directly between artist and buyer.
The submission deadline is October 7th, 2016. Submissions arriving after the October 7th deadline or without payment will not be accepted, no exceptions.
Making Your Submission2016 Submission Form
Electronic submission and online payment via paypal are primary means of submission for Figureworks.
Image submissions seen to include a high quality image 1-2 MB in size that is a minimum of 1280 pixels wide. Here is a video from Saatchi Online on how to photograph your artwork.
Should electronic submission not be possible you may make arrangements to submit via mail. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
Artists unable to create an electronic file or appropriate quality photograph of their work can ask Hilde Lambrechts for help, in exchange for a donation to Figureworks.
Our Evaluation Process
The Figureworks competition is evaluated by a jury of peer professional artists representing a broad range of media and forms of art.
We're proud to announce our 2016 Jury:
Our Jury will perform two levels of evaluation;
- Round 1: the first round is electronic and the results of which will be the selection of works that will move into Round 2.
- Round 2: the Jury will convene together to view all the works in person and establish the final selections for the show and prizes.
Artists will be notified of the jury decision by e-mail.
Round 1 Winners
The jury will make its final selections for the show and prizes at the Shenkman Centre, 245 Centrum Boulevard, Ottawa on Sunday November 6th 2016. Artists are asked to bring their selected work to the AOE Arts Council office on the Centre's main floor (near the entrance) between 9:00 and 10.30 a.m. Work must be picked up between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. that day. Artists not residing in Ottawa who are unable to present their work on that day are asked to contact Hilde Lambrechts for another delivery date.
International shipments should be sent to:
100 Rothwell Drive
Ottawa, ON K1J8L9
They must arrive no later than Nov 2nd 2016.
The shipment must include a proforma invoice stating the name, address, phone and email of both the sender and receiver, the title of the artwork, the year it was produced, the materials used, the size of the art work, the gross and net weight of the package, the selling price as well as the value for insurance purposes. The artist should state in which country the materials were bought and the work was produced.
To avoid custom payments the artist needs to contact the customs agency in the country of origin and send the necessary customs forms with their shipment. This may include a temporary export permit and an art declaration.
Artists must pay for the return shipment and include the necessary documents to do so. Most convenient is to open an account with Fedex, and include the return shipment documents with your Fedex account number and return address.
|October 7th, 2016||Electronic submission deadline|
|October 26st, 2016||Notification of jury's first round decision by e-mail.|
|November 6th, 2016||Delivery of selected works to the AOE office, 9:00 to 10.30 a.m., pick up from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.|
|November 21st, 2016||Delivery of accepted works to the Kildare Room at Saint Brigid's Centre for the Arts, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Please be on time. The show will be set up between 1:00 and 6:00 p.m.|
|November 22nd, 2016||Vernissage from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m., prize winners announced at 7.30 pm.|
|December 4th, 2016||Pick-up art works at Saint Brigid's from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.|
For PR and Communications: email@example.com
For technical issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other inquires please contact Hilde Lambrechts at email@example.com or by phone at 613.741.7646