2017 Call for Artists
Figureworks.org is a not-for-profit organization promoting art of the human form. Figureworks.org is calling artists in all media to participate in its eight annual juried award show from November 22nd until December 2nd, 2017 at Saint Brigid's Centre for the Arts, 310 St. Patrick Street, Ottawa, ON, Canada.
Although based in Canada we accept artworks from anywhere in the world. Please see the section on International Submissions to understand your shipping obligations.
Eligibility of the Artwork
- Works should represent the human form or parts thereof. All media and styles are accepted, this includes but is not limited to paintings, drawings, sculpture and photography. The jury will be looking for the best combination of skill, concept and originality.
- Works must be complete, stable and dry to the touch. Wet, sticky and unstable works will not be accepted.
- Accepted artworks must be as represented in the images submitted. Works that have been modified will be refused. Images that have been enhanced and are not an accurate reflection of the work submitted may result in the artwork being refused.
- Works must be made independently, without guidance. Artworks made during a workshop or class is not eligible.
- Works can be no older than three years and not have been entered in a previous Figureworks show.
Entering the Competition
|Submission Deadline||October 8, 2017|
|Artwork Dropoff||November 20th, 2017|
|See full list of dates.|
- Submissions arriving after the deadline or without payment will not be accepted, no exceptions.
- Accepted artworks dropped off or delivered late to the venue for hanging run the risk of being eliminated from the final jury review.
- No substitutions, please ensure that your entries will be available during the dates of the exhibition.
Artists are limited to two submissions. The entry fee is as follows:
|1 Artwork||2 Artworks|
|$50 (CAD)||$70 (CAD)|
|Student: $25 (CAD)||Student: $35 (CAD)|
- Students must have valid Student ID.
- The submission fee is non-refundable, regardless of the jury's decision.
- Should you need to retract your artwork(s) the submission fee will not be refunded.
- Funds are used to pay the jury, gallery rental and advertising with the remainder divided among the prize winners.
The following are the size restrictions for Figureworks:
|Framed Artwork||Maximum Height: 72 in
Maximum Width: 60 in
Maximum Square Inches: 2400 square inches
Maximum Weight: 100lbs
|Sculpture||Maximum Height: 72 in
Maximum Width: 48 in
Maximum Depth: 48 in
Maximum Weight: 100lbs
Ready to Hang
Artworks need to be ready to hang in a professional manner.
If framed, the frame is clean, undamaged and suitable to the artwork and has a wire for hanging on the reverse. It is preferably archival, and if it is a work on paper, it is protected by glass or plexiglass. (International submissions may want to use conservation-grade plexiglass to avoid possible damage.) All paper or embroidery works will be framed.
Works that don't require a frame, such as gallery wrapped paintings, will come with a wire on the back. Other media that is unsuitable to framing, such as wall hangings, will come ready to hang in a manner that does not require extra hardware and can be hung with a hammer and nails, which is what the Figureworks hanging team have available.
Figureworks will not pin works to the wall. We do not accept rolled up paper works, embroidery or photos unless they are properly framed.
Artworks that do not comply with our hanging standards will be refused and the submission fee will not be returned.
Figureworks will take all due care with all artworks received, but will not be responsible for any loss or damage to artworks whatsoever, however caused, while in its custody. Each entrant is responsible for maintaining his/her own insurance coverage.
Works may but do not have to be for sale. Neither Figureworks nor Saint Brigid's Centre for the Arts charge a commission. Figureworks will reserve works for interested buyers but all sales are to be conducted directly between artist and buyer.
Making Your Submission
Electronic submission and online payment via Paypal are primary means of submission for Figureworks.
Image submissions must include a high quality image 1-3 MB in size that is a minimum of 1280 pixels wide.
Should electronic submission not be possible, you may make arrangements to submit via mail. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
By submitting to Figureworks you agree to our Submission Guidelines.2017 Submission Form
The Figureworks competition is evaluated by a jury of peer professional artists representing a broad range of media and forms of art.
Our Jury will perform two levels of evaluation;
Electronic Round 1: The jury will conduct two initial rounds of reviews electronically. The end result will be the shortlisted selection of works that will move onto Round 2 and be presented in the Figureworks 2107 exhibition.
Artists will be notified of the jury decision by e-mail.
Round 2: The Jury will convene together to view and rank all the artworks in person for the Figureworks 2017 prizes.
International shipments to be sent to:
93 Thornbury Crescent
Ottawa, ON K2G 6C4
They must arrive no later than November 16th, 2017.
Proforma Invoice. The shipment must include a proforma invoice stating the name, address, phone and email of both the sender and receiver, the title of the artwork, the year it was produced, the materials used, the size of the artwork, the gross and net weight of the package. The artist should state in which country the materials were bought and the work was produced.
Custom Payments. To avoid custom payments the artist needs to contact the customs agency in the country of origin and send the necessary customs forms with their shipment. This may include a temporary export permit and an art declaration.
Return Shipment. Artists must pay for the return shipment and include the necessary documents to do so. Most convenient is to open an account with Fedex and include the return shipment documents with your Fedex account number and return address.
Labels should state that the artwork will be returned to the artist after the show and that the work is not for sale.
Return labels for artwork from the US or other countries only are accepted by FedEx if FedEx Express is used, not FedEx Ground.
Failure to arrange for return shipping within 30 days of last day of the Figureworks exhibition will result in the artist receiving a monthly bill for artwork storage.
|October 8th, 2017||Submission Deadline|
|October 30th, 2017||Announcement of list of finalists selected for exhibition.|
|November 16th, 2017||Deadline for International Shipments|
|November 20th, 2017||Delivery of accepted works to the Kildare Room at Saint Brigid's Centre for the Arts, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Please be on time. The show will be set up between 1:00 and 6:00 p.m.|
|November 22nd, 2017||Vernissage from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m., prize winners announced at 7.30 pm.|
|December 2nd, 2017||Pick-up artworks at Saint Brigid's from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.|
For PR and Communications: email@example.com
For technical issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other inquires please contact Mark Stephenson at email@example.com or by phone at 613-797-7192